Friday, August 21, 2009

The Pilot Pen Diary

11:17 - As usual, the press badge and parking pass are a blast. You have that in your car and everyone greets you with a smile and treats you well. It's really a fun experience. I recommend it if you ever have the chance.

11:23 - I am in the press room. It's me, one photographer, and two Pilot Pen staff members. It's a big day.

11:42 - I meet my supervisor, Jim Fuller. Seems like a nice guy. I find out I'm going to be covering a local girl who just had a hard-fought first set, but then got roughed up 6-4, 6-0. "So how tough was it to try so hard and lose?" Should be a fun interview.

12:03 - Just wrapped up the interview. Lasted all of five minutes. Seems like a nice girl though. Rachel Kahan. She's from the area so I guess it's not fun that she lost. But now it's time for the write up. Keep an eye out for it in tomorrow's New Haven Register or at nhregister.com.

12:23 - Just finished writing the story. The two other guys who interviewed Kahan are writing a lot more than I am. I feel like I'm back taking the SATs when I finished a section and no one else was done. Did I not analyze the questions enough? What did I do wrong? Hm, I guess interns don't get as much space to write as actual writers.

12:37 - SportsCenter is on. Ochocinco kicks? That's impressive. Even more impressive? They haven't caught Usain Bolt for using steroids yet. Either this man is the second coming, or he's juicing. 19.19 is just too fast. I guess gender testing takes precedent over steroids in Track & Field. Sounds like interesting work, maybe I'll start covering it.

1:36 - Just walked around the Stadium. Caught Mardy Fish hitting around for a promo video on center court. Some reporter was trying her best to play tennis without making a fool of herself. What some of us will do for a story. Anyway, the stadium is nice. It's a little hot out though. They're announcing the draw right now. Some big names are coming to New Haven. Let's go Sam Querrey though!

2:00 - Going on my 4th hour here. Not much has happened. It's all qualifying today, so I'm missing out on the exciting stuff. They just gave us the Women's Draw. Get excited for Svetlana Kuznetsova, Caroline Wozniacki, Nadia Petrova, Marion Bartoli, and Amelie Mauresmo. New Haven should have a good 2009.

2:09 - Strasburg press conference is on ESPN right now. Big day for the nationals. No one is there. I liked him better in red and black, but the goatee is still pretty killer. I'd love to see how it is full-beard. Probably strong, intimidating. Besides, the goatee territory is pretty well-covered (see: Jeff Bagwell, Matt Clement, Chad Gaudin, Kevin Youkilis) unless you're going to get creative (see: Scott Spiezio).

2:36 - Being a ball boy is just an art you don't find outside of major tournaments. Just watched one roll two balls in completely opposite directions down the line. Then, two points later, in bouncing a ball to nearly 6-foot-tall Olga Govortsova, same kid bounces the ball two feet over her head. It's a sad day for Pilot Pen ball kids that such terrible skill has penetrated their ranks.

2:49 - Couldn't stand the heat, so I came back to the press room. Did you know you can't leave the stands of a tennis match until a change over? It's like you're in prison out there. It's 89 degrees and a woman in a blue shirt is blocking my out. How to do you respond to that kind of intimidation? 

3:07 - That's four hours here at the qualifiers for Pilot Pen. Aaaand I think I'm done. My first journal has been pretty fun. It's a good format, might do it more often. For Patriots Games, I'm thinking. Anyways, I'm out.

-TSI


No comments:

Post a Comment