Saturday, July 25, 2009

The 72 Hour Rule

Every now and again I want to just throw in a shorter post to share a thought or two. I like the idea of a weekly topic and hopefully subsequent discussion, but a blurb here and there never hurt anyone.

With the reports of Brett Favre being conflicted over his 75th annual unretirement and Michael Vick's unknown suspension, news outlets have taken it upon themselves to use vastly inadequate, if not non-existent, evidence to speculate and prognosticate on the futures of these two once fine athletes. Sadly, the viewers, readers, and sports fans out there have been saddled with the unfortunate responsibility of listening to the inanity coming out of their mouths or keyboards.

Bill Simmons (somewhat an idol of mine) recently responded to an e-mail from one of his readers with this brilliant idea: 
What if we tried out an embargo policy for all sports "news" for one year? Everything gets a 72-hour window; after that, we can't mention it again until it happens. Like the Brett Favre/Vikings thing: Once it became a possibility, we would have had 72 hours from that point forward to break it down. After that? Embargoed until we get proof of life (in this case, a Favre news conference in Minnesota).
I understand the media has a job to do. I also understand that with the advent of CNN and ESPNEWS, 24 hours, seven days a week needs to be filled with news, regardless of how tedious and rehashed it is. Nevertheless, would it be so painful for them to come up with twists on current ideas that allow for more discussion?

Take highlights for instance. SportsCenter gives us a baseball highlight and maybe a box score at the end. That tells the basic story of the game and some details on who contributed to the win/was responsible for the loss. How about telling me something I can't discern from the highlight? Talk to me about what the pitchers were using most frequently, what was working. Or how a player was taking advantage of mistakes by his opponents. Hell, show me some press conference coverage or interview footage.

I'm not saying it's ESPN'S fault or anything. They've become larger than life in covering sports news. With their own enormous shoes to fill, they have to cover their time. I'm just worried, and annoyed as a fan, that it's going to continue in a downward spiral. Already I find so much of the information they provide me to be pointless. Who cares who votes for Tim Tebow in an irrelevant preseason poll? How about what Tebow's doing in training to improve for this year and become the second man to win two Heisman trophies? Huh? Isn't that important? Yeah, thought so. Let me know when there's a story about that. I'll pay attention then, because that's when my attention will be on something relevant and important.

I appreciate ESPN having an ombudsman and kind of taking the concerns of their viewers into consideration. I just wish it would show a little bit. It's a product of the industry they've built and an unfortunate consequence. But given the media giant they are, they also have the power to change it. They almost dictate what is and what isn't important. By making the Favre insanity and similarly stagnant and dull stories the important news, they hurt themselves and the others who try to compete with them (because they inevitably follow suit). 

I propose Simmons' idea or something similar to it be instituted until ESPN can control and monitor themselves. Otherwise, they'll become the next Favre. A story that's frustrating and annoying that hasn't developed or changed in too long. I guess that would make me the ESPN to their Favre. I really don't want that. Please hear out your fans and change something.

-TSI

No comments:

Post a Comment